Followers

Do what you love- love what you do- Tea breaks and Umi Tea Sets

 

 

 

There is a somewhat tacky saying that is often printed on inspirational magnets and little signs, 

'Do what you love, Love what you do'. 

Although it saccharine sentiment boarders on the cliche, it nevertheless  reminds us not only to take the time to do the things we really enjoy, but also, and I believe often overlooked, to 'love what we do'. Love what we do... perhaps I am reading too much into the intentional nursery rhyme mimicry of the statement, but I think it is something each of us ought to think about now and then. We all have a list of things we do either out of necessity or preference. Some of these we like, some we like less. Chores, work, e-mail, eating, exercise, and a thousand other minuscule tasks make up our days, and making up our days, they make up our lives. Do we love these small things, are they worthy of our delight and enjoyment. Many seem not to be, others are reviled, and several are enjoyed. Few are loved. 

 

Love what you do. Is there a way to make those small tasks lovable? To increase the level of pleasure taken in them to the point that they will be anticipated? It would be exhausting to try to tackle every single one of them, but with a little effort and creativity many of them can be 'upgraded'. 

 

I am a tea drinker. I prefer tea to coffee, drinking the later only on holiday in Italy, and black tea to most other types. I can distinguish different qualities of tea and invest a reasonable amount in my tea collection. I have always been a tea drinker, and I switched to drinking primarily tea during my time at university. 

 

 

Why do I tell you this? Why, on an art blog do you care whether I drink tea. I tell you this because I find that as an artist one is always on the lookout for beauty in the ordinary. The way the light changes the colour of an object, the surface texture of tree bark, the contrast of reds, greens, blues, and browns on a rusted metal pipe, some many things are glossed over in the haze resulting from our modern busy lives. So many source of beauty and delight are all around us if we would only, metaphorically, open up our eyes to see them. 










 

I am not a political or controversial artist, I create art because I find it beautiful. As a nature artist I believe that the world is full of enough interest, elegance, wonder, and intrigue to fascinate anyone for several lifetimes. But walking through it do we take the time to take it in? Some people do, some spend all of their freetime wandering around in it. I am not one of those people. I like pattern, design, colour, texture. All of those things can be found quickly. 

 

  So, coming back to 'love what you do', This same type of appreciation can be applied to the parts of life not 'influenced' by art. In fact they can be applied to the parts that are routine, necessary, or drab. And when applied, can elevate that part of life to the level of an art form. This is my experience with my tea breaks. I drink a lot of tea, as all my friends are aware, and taking a break from painting to go make a cup is a regular occurrence. A few years ago while sitting in a cafe I was enjoying the layout of the little marble slab, so decoratively arrayed with pastries, sugar, spoons, milk, and tea when the thought occurred that my tea at home would be that much nicer if I treated myself to such a tea break. After all, don't artists know something about colour coordination, composition, and balancing of elements? I made it a challenge to use my tea tray to try out different compositions, I practised using contrasting elements, creating colour palates and balancing arrangements. As time passed both my art and my tea breaks benefited. Today, my tea breaks are one of the chief pleasures of my life. I also find that continuously playing around with compostition has helped in my painting.

 

Today I post my tea breaks on instagram at: @tea_in_the_studio

I love connecting with other tea connoisseurs and enjoy seeing other people's tea tables and tea breaks. Through my instagram account I met the lovely people behind Umi Tea Sets in China and had the opportunity to test out one of their tea cups sets. They are sponsoring this review, but I am always completely honest in my reviews and would not have posted about them if I was not impressed with their tea and teaware. 

   They sent me a beautiful Gaiwan set and a jasmine white needle tea. 


The tea was one of the best of it's category I have had recently. It did not have the bitter taste that some teas develop quickly if left submerged too long. It had such a pleasant, delicate taste that I did not want to eat the sweet I had prepared as I felt completely satisfied with the tea itself. 


The Gaiwan set is also even prettier in real life than in the photo and is the perfect addition to my teaware as it is the first I own. I have been wanting one for a while, Thank you:)





If you want to create more enjoyment, creativity and beauty in your small tasks. If you are an artist and want to apply some of your artistic ability to other aspects of your life, I would encourage you to choose an area and to start on. If you are a tea lover like I am I can recommend Umi Tea Sets.

Here are the contacts: 

Umi Tea Sets: 

Website: www.umiteasets.com

Instagram: www.instagram.com/umiteasets6

Facebook: www.facebook.com/umiteasetsltd



I hope that this post has inspired you to look for ways to extend your creativity past the confines of the canvas or paper.

To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.

Comments

Popular Posts