Followers

Current project- animal portraits a the natural history museum















 
   Working on a project or series takes a lot of self-discipline. I always have so many ideas floating around in my mind, and not enough time to actually execute them. I have been trying to consequently pick a topic and work on it until I have several works in the same category. One of the benifits of this method is that you learn a lot with each picture and improve from work to work.



  I am currently working on a series of sketches of the animals on display at the natural history museum. They have a great set up there and I started going on urban sketching outings with a friend. In order to keep my equipment compact enough to be allowed into the museum, I have been doing my illustrations on watercolor postcards.  Using postcards has been both challenging and fun as I have had to really evaluate each of my subjects and stick with what really fits on the cards without compromising the detail or layout. As a result I ended up with a lot of portraits.






   It is trendy to do pet portraits at the moment and I have seen wonderful pictures posted in the art forums I am a member of. I think wild animal portraits are just that much more fun though.




This hasn't been a long post today, just a behind-the-scenes look at part of my 'work day'.  I have been thinking of doing a behind the scenes post once in a while to share studio moments with you. Would that be of interest? Let me know in the comments.


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  


Comments

Popular Posts