Followers

Trying something different- modern industrial style painting

Late one night, after digging through a drawer of illustrations, watercolour paper, and other odds and ends, I stumbled upon the sketch of a construction site I had prepared early last year. A small house sitting shrunken beside suspended concrete plates, scaffolding, and piles of materials. Cranes turning high above it, concrete plates hovering in midair as they were adjusted to land in the right place to create walls. A staircase, oh horror, hanging from what seemed a weblike cable ready to crush anything unfortunate enough to be beneath it, should it fall.

   Time laying heave on the hands of half the world at this time in history, abounds. Thus I decided that this might be the moment to try my hand at a loose modern style used in urban and industrial images in the first half of the twentieth century. I did not study such images but rather worked based on an overall impression that I have formed over years of drinking in museum collections.

These next few pictures are taken within the next few few hours as I began working on the painting.












After a few weeks on the easel, time flies when you are doing multiple projects, I started adding more layers







My husband had a quick look at the painting and mentioned that the chimneys were far too tall- the washi tape marks their future size.












To give an idea of the size of this piece I have propped it up on my desk . It is the same length as it's generous surface. (did you see I added a small fence on the corner of the house? It looked a little bare).






Since this piece is not realistic in style, nor does it contain a lot of contrast, I am sharing a few detailed close up shots.




















  Being the detail minded artist that I am I want to start on the next layer, tightening up the brush strokes and adding concreteness to the forms. That would, of course ruin it, so instead I signed it and brought it into the dining room to 'rest'.

   And the easel is now empty again. I have a stack of in progress paintings leaning against the wall waiting to be finished. I will probably tackle one of those next.



To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.

Comments

Popular Posts