Followers

Museo della Carta- Toscolano

   As is the case with most artists and illustrators, I am passionate about paper. Good paper that is. I love working with a variety of different papers enjoying their varying textures and finding out what it is possible to do with them. two of my favorites are the bamboo paper from Hahnemüle which is such a versatile mixed media paper and Fabriano hot pressed satin finish paper which I use for botanical illustrations and other fine detailed watercolor work.
   Two years ago while staying in central Italy we made a two hour detour to visit Fabriano, home of the world's longest uninterupted paper manufacturer, and more importantly my favorite brand. As it is generally fairly expensive I bought a huge amount home with me and am still using it. One of the things that really impressed me there were the intricately beautiful 'art' watermarks they create. I didn't have the time then to visit their museum and wasn't able to ask about the process of creating the watermarks they are known for. Here is an example of one of the 'artistic' watermarks (the light reflections aren't part of the design):

   I did however find it interesting and knew that at some point I would like to learn a bit more about it.
   Fast forward to today. Today's trip was again to a paper mill, this one in Toscolano Maderno. It is situated deep in what was for many centuries a paper mill canyon, Valle delle Cartieri. The mill has been remodeled after falling into absolute ruin and is now a small but extremely interesting museum, Museo della Carta. Here the traditional method of making paper from old rags is explained as well as more modern methods of paper production. The last rooms also house old printing presses. All of this was interesting and informative but what made it so interesting to me personally was that there was a man making paper there with watermarks! He had a variety of screens to which were attatched wire type structures formed into words or pictures. the pulp is not as thick in these areas when it is being lifted out of the water bath with the screen leaving clearly thiner areas which are easily visible when held up to the light.
   Large customers had their own special screens used in the production of their orders. We saw examples of many different watermarks that had been used there.
It looks like it might be a fun project to create a watermark and make handmade paper one day. For now I bought a couple of small note/sketchbooks. I am looking forward to trying them out for the first time. As soon as I have tried them I will post them either here or on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/sarahloeckerart/) or facebook (https://www.facebook.com/sarah.locker.370). Look out for them. I hope I shall soon find the time to create something. The thick, rough paper is certainly a delight to handle. I hope it will be just as fun to paint on.

  Have you visited a paper factory? Have you made or used handmade paper? How did you like it? Let me know in the comments.

  To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.

Comments

Popular Posts