Followers

Star Singers, the tradition of the three kings


We three kings of Orient are...




    Whether or not the number three was chosen as a result of the list of gifts brought, they are, in popular practice, three. Today being three kings day I am writing my very last cultural post of the Christmas season. That being said, I am looking forward to adding more art related things and behind the scenes glances into my studio again. Look for a post with some of my goals for the New Year.



   Today, the children in Orthodox, Hispanic, and several other southern cultures will be celebrating and receiving gifts. For us, in Austria, it is the last days of Christmas time. At the end of Advent, our Christmas season runs from the 24th of December to the 6th of January.


In the days between New year and the 6th children, and in some regions adults, have been out, going door to door singing. These are the  Sternsinger 'Star singers'. Carrying a box for coins and a sack of frankincense they sing their way through the neighborhoods collecting money for the charity or developing region chosen that year.





 There are generally 4 people to a group, the three kings, each with a special saying to recite, and a star carrier (Sternträger) with a gold painted wooden star on a long stick. A song or two is sung and then when any donation is handed over a small handful of frankinsence is measured out, and they move on.





   The first time the star singers knocked on my door, pulling me from the breakfast table, I was surprised and unsure what to expect. I waited for a break thinking it was a matter of moments before they would try to sell me something. My husband, hearing the first lines of the song, came around the corner, wreathed in smiles, saying, 'Oh, it's the star singers'! I gave them a little pocket change and was surprised to recieve the incense.



   It was years later, as my oldest child came back from the first star singing evening, that I realized that people save and wait for the children to arrive. Some people gave 100 Euro notes. Many invited them in for the last of the Christmas cookies and a warm tea. And several gave them sweets to bring back with them and divide up amoungst themselves.



 As the singers leave each house they remove the old sticker on the door and put up the new one, showing that this house is blessed and has been visited by the three kings. I have always found it interesting to observe when an abandoned house was last lived in by the year on the three kings sticker above the door.





 Contrary to intuition, CMB does not mean Caspar, Melchoir, Baltasar but rather "Christus mansionem benedicat"- Christ bless this house.




 Wishing you a wonderful Three Kings Day. And if you want to draw an ornament today is the last day to do so.

Today is the last day of the Draw With Me challenge. I am looking forward to seeing the results.


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button. 

Comments

Popular Posts