Followers

A bouquet of flowers for Womens Day- Choosing a flower for a botanical illustration





   Women and flowers seem to go together, beautiful, and delicate. I saved yesterday's post for today since I thought it would be nice to do an International Women's Day themed post. And what more pleasant subject than flowers. I realize that for many women today is a day to think about the rights they wish for or the changes to society they would like to see come into effect, I, however, rather enjoy my life as a woman. I don't particularly feel that there is anything I am missing out on or would like to do that I can't. I realize of course that this is a privileged position not available to many women around the globe and I am thankful for it. So today's post far from being a complaint on the subject of what I don't have is a chance to appreciate some of the lovely things I do have.  And one of those things is flowers- Men just don't usually receive them, one of the perks of being a woman;)


    Since I began doing botanical illustration I have acquired an added dimension to my appreciation of nature in general and flowers in particular. I love the diversity of form and color and am always looking for new and unique shapes and perspectives to draw.


Over the last several years I have drawn quite a lot of flowers and have developed certain preferences and tricks in how I represent them. Here are a few of the things I pay attention to when choosing a subject.

Contrast:

   A plant with two or more completely different colors always appeals to me, especially if those colors are present in the same area. creating a flowing gradient from one color into a completely different one can be a fun challenge.








Shape:

 Unique or extravagant shapes can be more challenging to draw but also more fun to paint.











Surface Texture:


   Obvious surface texture is more creates depth, imitating that texture in a painting keeps the picture from being too flat.





Perspective:

  Even if the plant is relatively well known there are often ways to draw it which will allow it to appear more interesting, I usually try looking for a unique way of portraying my chosen subject, directly from above or below, looking straight at it, or maybe together with something completely different.






Symmetry:

   Plants with a round or even symmetry are fun because the image is already balanced. I don't have to think as much about composition and whether or not to add a strategically placed leaf.







Repeating elements:

Some plants such as vines have repeating elements which are virtually identical. This gives the artist the opportunity to paint the same element from different angles.





Scale:

   Large leaves and tiny flowers or vise versa can keep an image interesting and fun to draw.







Color:

   And obviously, intense and unusual colors are even more fun to use than 'normal' ones.





Well, that's what I usually look for when choosing which flower in a bouquet I want to illustrate. I hope some of these suggestions were useful.

What criteria do you use when choosing a natural element in a painting or decoration? Let me know in the comments.


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.   


 * Alle of the photos in this posts are of flowers I saw at the Botanical Gardens in Oxford, England.




Comments

Popular Posts