Followers

Sand sculptures in Graz? Who needs a beach! Urban sketching meet up



   About a week ago I walked through town just after a huge downpour and spotted four massive piles of sand. Each one semi-contained by a yellow, boxlike frame. My assumption was that, as in past years, a sand volleyball court might be set up for a summer match. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that our small alpine city would attract sand sculptors. Luckily it did, and walking through again on Friday I saw the first signs of work. 

  Four sculptors have been busily working over the weekend and it seemed a good place for an urban sketchers meet up. These artists are: Marielle Heessels, Leonardo Ugolini, Mac David and David Ducharme. Their sculptures are supposed to represent the world of the sea and are a part of the 'Summer in the City' festivities. I love being a tourist in my own hometown.




    

   This morning I read an e-mail newsletter from an australian artist whom I know via the tangled web that is social media. In her letter she wrote about the way in which many of us have been using our creative problem solving inventiveness to rethink the way we work and live as a result of the current pandemic. This high functioning creativity in areas of life which usually don't receive as much attention may be the reason that many of us are producing fewer paintings and generally being less creative in our studios than we had anticipated being. I for one can attest to a decrease in the time and energy that usually goes into writing these blog posts. I was inspired both by the sculptures being worked on as well as by the artists current work which I looked up on instagram. Step by step and day by day I am trying to keep working, chipping away at the projects piling up. It may not be the summer for massive inspiration but it is a summer to slowly get things done.





I chose the face of Neptune, created byMarielle Heessels a dutch artist, as I am trying to force myself to come to terms with the human figure, a weekness of mine. And although it is far from perfect it is not as bad as I had feared.




I find it interesting how each person seems drawn to something unique.


We were a group of five, the perfect size to work together but still be able to maintain the distance that we needed.

   I also began a second sketch of the square itself with the sand sculpting stations. It is just a quick sketch but will make a fun memory of today. My sketchbook is a bit like a diary- always reminding me of places I have been and things I have done.



And here is the finished page. Today was fun- relaxed and a bit cooler as the evening wore on.


 A flat lay of all of the sketches:

 

  Although we usually have coffee or a drink during the second sketch I had mine at home. Staying safe is the highest priority as I hope we will be able to continue meeting to sketch for as long as possible. 

If you enjoyed this post you might also enjoy: 

-Urban sketchers Paris

-Building and using a seasonal palette

-Flaming Skies 

What about you? Have you been able to get out to do anything creative this week? Let me know in the comments.


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  

Comments

Popular Posts