Followers

Building and using a seasonal palette







 Breathtaking views, brisk autumn air and a glass of schilcher sturm- the new wein, in it's first phase of fermentation. Soaking up the sun and chatting with the other sketchers relaxing around the roof top table provided the perfect balancing element to a busy studio morning.
  




Having allowed the colours of Autumn to subtly and subconsciously inspire me over the past two weeks (see the post linked below under, 'Painting with the seasons') I sat down yesterday to update the palette of watercolours that I carry with me in my handbag when not in my studio.

The most important colours to consider in this selection were the blues, greens, and earth tones. The bright cheerful colours of summer are being switched out for warmer, deeper hues.I opted out of the light sandy browns, airy blues and bright greens.



Having chosen the tabs I wanted I put them on a piece of painters tape and trimmed the edges.


 They were then placed back in my box where a strip of two sided tape holds them in place.



 Sometimes it is surprising how long the most mundane tasks take, this one, which I have just described in about 4 sentences, stretched out to just overone and a half hours.


   This past evening I had the opportunity to try them out, and it was not only a lovely day to sketch but I am happy with my colour selection as well.


The schlossberg.


 I finished adding the rest of the detail at home.




Those are my autumn colours- do you drawn to different colours in different seasons? I would love to hear in the comments.



If you enjoyed this post you might also like:
-Painting with the seasons
-How to take and use reference photos
-It's pumpkin time
-Shadow and the flat light of autumn


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.

Comments

Popular Posts