Followers

Backcup





   Yesterday or the day before I read an article about a new initiative of our city to cut down on to-go cups which are thrown away after only a short time. Apparently, an analysis of coffee cups was made and the count of cups per day, thrown away on the main street alone is near 1000. Over the last few years, there have been initiatives to reward people who bring their own cups but unfortunately, it is exactly at those times that I don't have a cup. If I am too rushed to sit for a coffee the chances are that I was too rushed to think of bringing a cup with me. I don't think I am alone in this predicament.


   The new system, which just started, is to make cups available for 1 euro each which can be returned to any participating cafe. These cups are made of cellulose, as far as I can make out, and are called, 'Backcup'. They will last for about 500 uses. The one I got looks quite nice, I am not sure I would like to be the 500th customer, though.

   I immediately went to one of the participating cafes today, Tribeka, and bought myself a coffee with a 'backcup'. It is pretty nice, and a really great idea. I like that it is lightweight enough to throw into my handbag. I always have a pretty heavy bag thanks to my art supplies, and this sometimes hinders me from bringing a cup or thermos when I go out.



     I love this idea and have been sketching my 'backcup' this afternoon. After three sketches I think I am ready to take it back and get my euro back. Or maybe I will just keep it in my handbag... Let's see.



What do you think of having a takeaway cup with a deposit? Do you live in Graz?  Have you tried the new cups? Would this work in your city? Let me know in the comments.

To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  


Comments

Popular Posts