Followers

Artist holiday gift guide 2018

   So many people are posting holiday gift guides at the moment that I decided to join the masses and post a few of my favorite art supplies as well as a few things on my list.

   If you are an artist, I hope this gives you a few more ideas of must-have supplies, and if you have an artist on your list, maybe you will be able to find something for them here too.

Inktese Pencils
 
These are wonderful pencils that look like colored pencils but have ink rather than watercolor leads. I bought a few of these in Italy a few years ago and they are among my most fun supplies. I have 19 ( I think) of them but have more on my list.











Gansai Japanese Watercolors

   Something about the colors instantly makes me think anime. I love the creamy, smooth consistency of these colors. I got a box of them for Christmas a few years ago and really love them.




Venetian Glass Pen- This is beautiful and fun. I love using it with the pastel ink listed below.




Venedig by Jiro Taniguchi. A fun book that I have been being inspired by. If you love urban sketching this is for you.
   A review of this book is coming soon.





Hahnemühle watercolor postcards in a tin

 The tin just makes these better. I like to keep a tin of these in my handbag whenever I leave the house. They are the perfect format for small urban sketches.








Factis artist carving block and Linoleum cutting tool 





Hahnemühle sketchbook
 I love the landscape format of this sketchbook. I used it for the natural history illustration course I did as well as for urban sketching. It is described as a watercolor book and while it does not perform as well as normal watercolor paper it is very nice for adding a bit of color to sketches and drawings.






Leporello sketchbook

   These are so fun I always hesitate to start them. I love how they look on the mantlepiece when they are finished. I think these are the way to go for a trip to a new city.




Schminke travel watercolor box with water reservoir


   A friend brought this box to a botanical illustration seminar in spring and I bought it shortly after that. I like that you can bring water with you when on the road. I have used it almost daily since buying it although I have obviously changed out some of the colors in order to accommodate my most used palette.




Metallic pigments and acrylic binder

 I bought these in Italy last Summer. I am looking forward to using them on just the right project. They were definitely a splurge and I have them with my other 'treasures'.




Lamy fountain pen

   I have the Lamy Safari which I really love and have been using for about 8 years without any problem at all. I also have the new Lamy Calligraphy pen which is fun.  Here I have linked a slightly more expensive pen but either of the two I have just mentioned are also really nice.






Lightweight tabletop folding easel


   I like to work on an easel. It seems to make the perspective a bit better, for me at least, not to mention it helps my posture. Most folding easels are attached to a box, and while this is a great way to bring supplies on a longer trip, I love the ease of the simple tabletop easel. I have taken it with me on many occasions.


 Mine is so well used that I didn't even want to photograph it alone.



Pastel Ink

    I recently received a bottle of this pastel ink from a friend. It is produced in Toulouse, France. I find it fascinating and fun. I highly recommend it.



If you love art but are not an artist why not order a painting, print, or pet portrait from me?


  Below are a few posts that feature the products on the list:





   - The pastel plant
   - Take a peek at my art library
       (More book ideas)
   - Step by step cicada stamp process
  - My field sketching kit must-haves
   - 10 days, 10 pieces of art



Happy Shopping


 To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  

Comments

Popular Posts