Followers

Step by Step owl illustration



 With his feathers, he will cover you, under his wings, you will find safety. His truth is your shield and armor. Psalm 91:4

   Yesterday began with the shock of finding that my blog has been registered as spam on facebook and blocked. Needless to say, the past day and a half have not been devoted to art in the way I would have liked them to be but rather to the joys of trying to figure out the complexities of the Facebook algorithm and how to reverse this problem. I have googled, I have posted, I have sent messages to Facebook itself hoping to resolve the issue, and now I can do nothing more for the moment.

   I am therefore pulling content from my wealth of photos and putting up a step by step series of how I drew the owl that featured so prominently in the last show. Thankfully I photographed the process.

   To help me change gears from the frustration of Facebook difficulties I decided it is time to open the Nikolo/Krampus chocolates. So here I sit, in my library, ensconced on the sofa with a hot cup of tea and the first one and a half chocolates gone.




 I began with a few gesture sketches in my sketchbook.




Then sketched out the body of the bird using a royalty free photo found on Pixbay. I added the basic shading and tonal values at the beginning as place markers for future work.





And from there it was just step by step observation and detail work. Nothing special, slow and steady wins the race. I listened to a lot of youtube while working on this one.















   Once everything was done I went back in and added a bit more shading to try to imitate the tones I had originally sketched in. And that's it. One Owl- done just in time.





A3 size prints are available of this owl for 30 euros each. If you want one just send me a message.

  If you are an artist do you prefer to work from one end of a piece to the other or do you work in layers on the entire piece? Let me know in the comments.



 To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  










Comments

Popular Posts