Followers

March Favorites
















 And just like that, it is April. I want to take the opportunity to post my March favorites before the month is too far behind us, especially because I have actually done some exciting, and infrequent things this month.





US Trip-

   This was a significant month for me as it held a trip back to the US, my home country. Which after 14 years hardly seems like home anymore.




Seeing it with the eyes of a foreigner was both maddening and delightful, a land of contrasts and extremes but also of bounty. So much of everything! I could hardly believe it. So many options of everything from food to books to, well, everything. I took advantage of as many of these things as possible as I ate my way through several global cuisines,




saw so many museums and monuments I could hardly make it back to my hotel







 and bought a huge pile of art supplies (and took pictures of the things I still want but couldn't possibly afford or carry back from this trip).



 Most importantly, however, I had the opportunity to spend time with my family, something I haven't enjoyed for the past seven years. And other than this last point, I am glad to be back, sanity reinstated, and a relatively calm life continued. All the excess was delightful but only as a break from my normal everyday experience.

Two sugars each? Yes, I brought them home for my children:)





Botanical Watercolor Seminar-

Another highlight was my first ever, completely free, botanical watercolor seminar which I will post more information on in the near future. This seminar was held in the framework of the International Women's day exhibition at the Sedwell Center and was visited by international women from around the world.

Podcasts-

I had to update my ancient mobile phone in order to be able to logistically function on my trip to the US which means that I now have access to podcasts. Something which I have been enjoying quite a lot. My two favorites so far have been, 'the Earful Tower' a podcast out of Paris by another longterm ex-pat from Australia, and 'the Europeans' who do fun weekly highlights of European news and special interest stories that are not centered around the big stories like Brexit. Both are in English if anyone wants to check them out. I have been listenning both while cooking and while painting.





Reopening the Studio-

The warmer weather has signaled the seasonal reopening of my studio, which is not heated and therefore hardly usable in the coldest winter months. I have spent several very pleasant days with brush and canvas over the last couple of weeks. I love the feel of paint and am always desperate to get back to it after a winter heavily peppered with illustration.

work in progress





 My Magnolia tree-

I love Magnolias. I always have. As a young teenager, friends of my family bought a house with what they called a tulip tree in the front garden. I believe it was a magnolia. That first spring I decided that when I grew up and had a house I wanted a 'tulip tree' in my garden as well. Since then I have seen and enjoyed Magnolias in many different contexts, including as subjects for illustration, but when we were looking at our current house, the large Magnolia in the garden was the selling point for me, the icing on the cake. What a tree! And, something I didn't know before, it actually blooms twice. Once in the spring and once in late summer. So I get to enjoy the blooms with and without leaves.



Trying out my new art supplies-
  Obviously, I haven't had that much time to work with them, but it is fun to start.





Working on my Washington DC Sketchbook-

As much as I had hoped that this would be an Urban sketching type sketchbook, three and a half days just isn't enough time to sit and sketch. I managed to do a few pages while there, but I mainly took photos and just enjoyed the time with my family. Now I am enjoying the photos again as I transfer some of the elements into my sketchbook. I am not being overly detailed in this book, it is not intended to be a collection of stand-alone illustrations but rather a fun memory of my trip.


Well, those were the highlights of my month. Did you do anything special this month? Let me know in the comments. Also, given my 'new' access to podcasts feel free to recommend your favorite so that I can give it a listen.

 To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  


Comments

Popular Posts