Followers

Moth Migration





'Which would be cheaper, to post this to the US or to Australia?' The postman's eyes wandered blankly from my face to the unaddressed envelope in my hand, and then back, more baffled than before. 'Well, that depends...' He paused, taking in the envelope again, 'Where do you want to send it to?' I sensed that this wasn't so much a question as a way of filling the space that had been lingering in the conversation.

'Well, which one takes longer?' He shook his head the way a person does when there is a wasp on their ear and they don't want to make any sudden or abrupt movement. It was quickly becoming clear that I needed to share my reasons for asking if I were to get any sort of answer out of him. Explaining that contributions to an international exhibition could be sent to either New York or Australia I again requested information on travel time and cost and with a suddenly cleared countenance, he quickly responded that it cost the same and took just a day or two longer to Australia. Yes, he could have just said that at the beginning.





I decided that since all contributions arriving in NY would be bundled and forwarded to Australia, the carbon footprint of my particular eclipse (group of moths) could be halved by sending them directly down under. And so near the end of March, they were on their way.





The Moth migration project, of which they make up 6 of 20,000 plus moths created by 1078 individual artists and 113 organizations from 26 different countries, is a crowd-sourced exhibition founded by Brooklyn artist Hillary Lorenz in cooperation with a few Australian illustrators and printmakers.




Each artist is encouraged to submit regional species in black on white paper. Drawing, painting, and printing seem to be the most popular methods used in creating them. Mine are drawn and then copied individually by hand with a black fineliner. If I do something like this again they will definitely be printed. It seems that many of the contributors ended up doing their moths as class or group projects, an excellent idea to keep in mind for future endeavors.





 The moths arrive precut in order to aid in the installation.






   The Exhibition is being installed right now and will be open on 3 May 2019 (if you are looking at this in the future). If you are in Australia looking for something fun and interesting to do, it will run until 23 June 2019. I would have loved to see it in person but am enjoying seeing the videos and photos being posted in the Facebook Group.

The Locations are:
Bundaberg Regional Gallery, Bundaberg, Australia
Gympie Regional Gallery, Gympie, Australia


Today mine were opened! Here is the photo as they were being unpacked!



More details and photos are available on the Moth Migration website.
The moth I have contributed was originally drawn as part of a large series of moths and butterflies for the signs on a 'Schmetterlingserlebnisweg' in St. Thomas am Blassenstein. If you are in Austria and want to see the rest of those illustrations I encourage you to go take a short hike in the beautiful Naturpark Mühlviertl.


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.


* UPDATED:
A facebook friend found my moths in the installation and sent me a picture! Well done and thank you:)




Comments

  1. This is a great blog Sarah. I have been part of this project from day one and have travelled from Australia t New Mexico for the first exhibition. It was a wonderful experience. I have continued to contribute and have run a couple of workshops with school children and my grandchildren......I have heaps of those !!!!! So now I am preparing to travel to Gympie and Bunderburg on Monday to view and volunteer to help. In all with the children's work I have sent almost 300 hand printed moths. This Project just keeps on getting better and better. The highlight for me will be to meet Hilary as I missed her by a day in New Mexico. Such an amazing community based giving project giving lots of joy to a lot of people. Hillary must be busting with excitement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some of the contributions from your workshops on the facebook group, really well done. Travelling to see the exhibition would be great fun. I would have creditted you and anyone else who had been a part of the project from the beginning in the post but I couldnt find names on the blog, thus the 'few Australians' :) I am really looking forward to see the photos of the openning. Wish I could visit too!

      Delete
  2. I don't have a problem with not crediting me . So glad you could view my posts. It was a lot of work to organise 28 6 year old's to tech the process of printing. When I come back from Bundaberg I am going to do some work with pre school children on the Bogong Moth. There are aboriginal stories and paintings about this moth. We might even build a cave to put their art work in !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how fun! I like the cave idea. I have done projects and workshops with kids and school classes as well. It is very rewarding but requires a lot of time and patience:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts