Followers

Book review- Studio




   I love my studio and spend hours in it on a typical day. Recently I have been doing a bit less painting but a bit more thinking about my studio set up. Has there ever been a better time to get the studio in order? I don't think so. I have been enjoying a book by Sally Coulthard dedicated to studio set up over the past two weeks and thought I would share it with you. One of the things that I enjoy so much about this book is the broad spectrum of art forms housed in the rooms it presents; jewelers, painters, woodworkers and many others open the doors to their creative spaces. The styles, storage solutions, method of displaying inspirational or practical objects reflects the multitude of personalities and perspectives. And reiterate again the idea that a studio is a most personal of rooms, a place in which the tools and materials of creation are available for the expression of a unique human soul.

 Our studios say a lot about us. Whether we love order or embrace chaos, love vibrancy and colour or like to work against a neutral background allowing our work to take center stage. Whether we are internally or externally inspired. Whether we work fast, ideas and inspiration welling up within us waiting to escape, or slowly, meditatively, working with precision and care to express exactly what we intend and nothing else. Are we experimental or not. Do we play with materials or simply use them. So many questions, so many insights, so many aspects that go into making our studios our own.



This book is divided into a number of categories such as fine art, illustration, etc... as well as including themed double page spreads devoted to specific aspects of the studio, storage, display, and so on.

I am including a few of the pages to browse.






The very last part of the book is dedicated to practical tips. I breezed through this part but will go back and read it more thouroughly later.




  I recommend this book to anyone who wants to use this time to organize or create a home studio of their own. There are so many ideas.



If you liked this post you might also like these other book related posts:

-Daily Painting
-Basilicata Terra aqua fuocoe cuore d'Argilla
-Drawing insects
- or browse my Art library


Here is a glimpse into my studio

Sarah Loecker Art


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button. 





Comments

Popular Posts