Followers

Japanese watercolours- Boku-Undo E-Sumi watercolour

 

 

 Just a short post this evening to share a new item in my art supply cabinet:  Boku-Undo E-Sumi watercolours.

   A few months ago I bought a set of Japanese 'black tones' watercolours. An interesting concept for me as I was unaware of some of them, yellow black? They are produced by Boku-Undo E-Sumi watercolour and come as a set of six pigments. I swatched them a while ago and this past week I actually used them to paint something- My black pouch storng my most often used pens, pencils and waterbrushes. 

 


   This set includes a couple of wonderful tones; I really liked the red black, purple black, and blue black. they are a little bit warmer and moodier than the blacks I generally use, (Paynes grey, Mars black and Paynes grey bläulich).

 


  I used the set to paint my little pouch into the sketchbook I am using at the moment, so you may see this page again in an upcoming sketchbook flipthough. I felt that similarly to the set of Schminke gold pigments, there weren't enough contrasting saturations to create a really interesting work. I think that I will have to supplement the set with a few lighter tones as well as a really dark black for contrast.




Although I just did a simple sketch I am fairly happy with the way the paints handle as well as the colours themselves. I still find the green and yellow tinted ones a bit strange. I am not sure that I like them all that well. Perhaps I just need to find the right subject. Maybe an octopus or squid...




Have you tried these? let me know what you thought of them.

If you liked this post you might also enjoy: 

-Schminke Gold Palette

 

 

To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.





Comments

Popular Posts