Followers

Art Inc. - The definitive business book for artists?


 

 

 

 

“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”


Andy Warhol 
   This wonderful quote has been on my mind over the last several years, and for a while hung in my studio. It more or less wraps up my thoughts on the artistic process and has characterized my approach to painting over the years. In fact, it is this mentality that has led me to explore a wide variety of techniques and styles. Without the restrictions of caring whether people love my work or not, whether they think it is good or not, I have felt free to experiment with things I may have been afraid to do, lest they fall outside of  'my style'. As a result, I have discovered a lot of fun and creative ways of doing art. 
   However, there is a downside, and that is that I spent so much time doing art that I hardly had time to market it. So this past spring I made the decision to create an online presence, thus this blog and my Instagram account, and start being more mindful of the business side of being an artist. 
  One of the things I have done is to watch successful artists give talks on the strategies they use, as well as listening to some of the many youtube video tutorials on everything from choosing the most artist-friendly software to writing contracts. 
   There is so much information available online that I was hesitant to order a book on the subject. And avoided doing so for months. However, after watching an interview with Portland-based artist Lisa Congdon; where the interviewer referred to her book as the 'definitive' guide to business for artists, I decided to buy it. I am so impressed with the book that I decided to present it in today's post. 
   Art Inc is a practical handbook broken down into categories that deal with the everyday workload and interactions of artists with both their products and their clients. One of the things that I have always found hard to swallow is the 'sales mentality'. Tips like giving oneself pep talks and bringing up your product everytime you meet anyone have always seemed artificial to me. I don't want to lose my friends because they begin to feel that I am trying to sell them something everytime we meet. I had expected to find this book very much along those lines. However, I was impressed and relieved. I skimmed the first chapter entitled, 'You are an Artist', figuring that anyone whose house is bulging at the seams with artwork doesn't really need affirmation that they are an artist, and really started in the second chapter, 'Getting down to business'.  When she says, Getting down to business, she gets down to business. I plan on spending the next two to three months getting the business done which is outlined in this book.


   What makes this book such a wonderful resource, in my opinion, is that it really breaks down studio work, administrative work, networking, sales, and so many other aspects of an artist's life into their basic components. These components can then be used as a list to work on the weak areas within your studio. For example, I have been toying with the idea of whether or not to offer fine art prints, and if so what the best method would be. The section on prints offers information on how to chose a scanner, how to choose a printer, how to obtain paper samples, viewing drafts, open and closed series, how to create reproductions that are accurate in their colors, how to price them, selling wholesale, shipping prints, how to choose a shipping company for different types of artwork, and so much more. With just that one chapter, I feel informed enough to make decisions about prints and get a few series started. 

   Obviously, as a working artist, many parts of the book will cover things you already do, but there are so many options available to the modern artist, and the author explores so many concrete ways of conceptualizing, producing, and marketing art that I believe most artists would benefit from it. The small format also makes it practical to use as a handbook.



   Last but not least, I really enjoyed the artist interviews that were interspersed throughout. Each of the interviews featured an artist who had created a specific niche for themselves. It highlighted their journey as well as what they considered to be the important parts of their normal studio routines. The diversity of the artists chosen well represents the scope of the book itself.

   



  Have you read this book? What did you think of it? Have you recently read other good art books? Let me know in the comments.


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  


 
   

Comments

Popular Posts