Followers

Rainy days










   One of the things about rain in Austria is that it is often freezing cold and accompanied by air that makes the scarf less of an accessory and more of a basic common sense decision.  Yesterday and today were rainy. Funny, because just one day before it was warm and sunny.
   I don't usually have the privilege of staying inside on cold rainy days, but yesterday I could, and did spend the day relaxing and working in my studio. While I am working on a project that requires a lot of fine detail I often find that my mind is freed up to think about and plan projects. Yesterday, was such an opportunity. And I was able to gather a few reference photos together. The illustration or set of graphics that I would like to create is a honey bee, (from various sides?).








  I was inspired by a beautiful teacup that my daughter gave me for Easter this year. She chose it because it looked like the 'kind of drawings I make'.




   I love honey bees and have always wanted to have hives myself, but haven't been sure that having them in an urban area wouldn't make me unpopular with my neighbors. So seeing the cup gave me the idea to do honey bee drawings. I have been watching bees and taking photos throughout the summer but it wasn't until I actually picked up what I initially thought was a frozen one off of the sidewalk, that I had an oportunity to take good, close up pictures to use as drawing references.






 I brought it home and as it warmed up I was able to help it regain its strength by feeding it sugar water. Portia, my cat, was immensly interested and I had to keep an eye on her since she had eaten the last bee I collected for drawing.






However, she was pretty good and I was able to take the pictures I wanted. Here are some of the shots from varying perspectives. Who knows, maybe I will be able to use them in a way to help encourage the support of domestic and wild honey bees in urban areas.




  With the energy kick from the sugar, the bee eventually was able to fly away.

What animals do you find fascinating? Why? Let me know in the comments.

To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  





 

Comments

Popular Posts