Followers

Graphite only






    It has been a crazily hectic 6 weeks in the studio since I spontaneously decided to take an online natural history illustration course. If you have been keeping up with my posts you will already know that as a part of this course I have spent considerable time stalking and drawing live animals, dissecting plants and gluing reference photos into my field sketchbook. Although most of the techniques themselves are not really new to me, the huge amount of pre-painting work is.  I tend to be fairly thoughtful in how I lay out my canvases and take my time when selecting reference photos, but my photos are usually taken while doing and enjoying other activities and I don't usually do anything more than a very rough layout sketch in my studio log.







  As I have been working on my final drawing, a fully rendered plant or animal, I have been photographing the various steps. The photos were taken whenever I took a break rather than between specific phases but will show how the work progressed.
  One of the challenges in this course is that it is graphite only which removes any additional benefit or camouflage color gives, resulting in naked and easily viewable shortcomings. I am impressed with how well it did turn out. And I have been amazed by the wonderful drawings produced by the other students.


Although it has been very enjoyable, I am glad that it is over. I am looking forward to getting back to some of the things I have on my personal to do list (for example those medicinal plants, and a few christmas motives).











   Do you do Graphite only work? Do you like graphite only work? Let me know in the comments.



To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  


Comments

Popular Posts