Followers

farmers market







 “Art is the child of nature in whom we trace the features of the mothers face.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow















   When I take the kids to the bus stop in the morning, crossing the river as the sun begins to hit the warming water, watching the little spots of sun cut into the still cold shadow clinging to the stone facades of buildings lining the streets, we generally walk as quickly as possible. Making the 'right' bus means a relaxed trip to school and a timely arrival, missing it means catching the last possible bus and having to hurry to make it into the building before the doors are locked and the halls patrolled. A difference which sets the tone of the day. When they are safely delivered I begin to return home and turning, with my back to the now departing bus, I see stretching out in the distance the green and white striped tents of the farmer's markets. Calling to me to come, browse, and buy for the day.




    Usually, I resist but it is not unheard of for my feet to take their own path and lead me to the stands where the women (generally) are fussing over the displays and arranging the seasons produce with a view to attracting attention to the more colorful, exotic, and expensive items.





 








   A few months ago I went there directly after dropping everyone off, to sketch the first of the stands to be set up. There is something so organized and structured about the green crates lined up or stacked, full of produce, which speaks to my sense of bounty. The fullness of nature. Food not only as nourishment but as objects of beauty as well.




   Ever since my second botanical illustration class, I have loved to paint produce, not only as illustrations but also in the context of still life setups. At this particular class, I had the good luck to sit next to an all-around artist who worked for the museum. He painted a whitish pumpkin.







   It was an ugly thing covered in warts, with a dirty sort of noncolored skin. I didn't understand why he had chosen it until the second day. His illustration standing luminous beside the original shone with a beauty that the real thing lacked. It was at that moment that I realized what Paul meant when he wrote, 'now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully'. It was not the pumpkin but rather the picture of the pumpkin that exuded the true essence and beauty of the very meaning of the term pumpkin. I mark that as the moment that I first realized that a vegetable could be beautiful for its own sake.







It was during an evening stroll in my first week as a student in Aix-en-Provence that I saw my first watercolor paintings of markets. The subject surprised me because it was one I would never have expected. For some reason markets don't figure heavily in the art I grew up seeing, and when they did they were bustling, mercenary places that reminded you of transactions and bartering, laying in stock and trading, not places to stroll and browse and enjoy. Among the paintings that evening were several flower market pictures, two of which I bought. They hung on the wall of my small room during my time in France.  Although we don't really have flower markets here, there are always flower stands, and I usually buy a bouquet to bring home with me.



  An extra bonus of going regularly to the farmer's market is that it provides a very up to the minute color palette for each season of the year. I usually leave feeling inspired by the color combinations as well as the textures and weights I have just witnessed. In Spring the salads and flowers are light and airy, balanced by the light breeze and pale sky. In summer the produce is bright and fleshy, boasting bold colors and intense flavors. In Autumn the warm tones and earthy flavors match a muted landscape. and mirror the warmth of a flat sun.








    On Saturday mornings the small cafe stands are full of people meeting friends for coffee, shoppers resting from their labors, or in my case, the artist reflecting on a new color scheme for a painting.










  Do you find inspiration from Farmer's markets? Or other displays of nature and natural items? Let me know in the comments.






  To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button. 


If you liked this post you might also like:
-Sturm and Maroni- Tis the Season
-Cafe Life
-Botanical Illustration- the how, why, and why not










Comments

Popular Posts