Followers

25th Anniversary Gala and Silent Auction- IWA






   One year ago I met my 'first' American, Hanna, in the dentist's waiting room. She asked me a question in English and I assumed she had chosen that language because I was speaking it with my children. I was suprised to find out that, no, it was in fact her native tongue. The second, (third?) American I had met in about 13 years of life in Austria, she urged me first to meet a friend of hers, also from the US, and eventually to join the International Women's Association. I hesitantly did so and have been enjoying meeting a variety of interesting international women ever since. I had no idea how diverse Graz is. I am truly amazed.


  At the beginning of February I had the pleasure of hosting a short urban sketching workshop for the members which was a delight. As a result several have joined us at our urban sketching meet-ups over the past several months, giving me the oportunity to know them better.


This year the organization celebrated its 25th year of existence. An accomplishment for any organization but especially one in which so many of the members move on after only a few short years.




 
 As charitable giving has been part of the goal of the group since its inception in 1994, a silent auction was planned for the evening. I contributed a few pieces to it. Below are a few of the pieces that were donated. You can't see any of mine here but if I mention that the Melody of the Skies posters were available you will know what I am talking about by now:)




 

 


 Many of the original and long term members who were at the event spoke of their experiences coming to and living in a country with a differnt language to their own in a time before the internet kept people connected. The struggles and isolation were issues that are not as central as they used to be. It is nice to know that young immigrants have an easier time than we did. And although it is never easy to move permanently to a new country, the continuity of life that the internet has made available has changed the way immigration as well as integration looks. I for one find it to be a great blessing.


In a staggeringly, humorous coincidence, the silent auction brought in 1994 euros!


If you enjoyed this post you might like:
- Chaos, kunst und inklusion


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.


Comments

Popular Posts