Followers

Stained glass and Gargoyles- Herz Jesu Kirche









Something about seeing Notre Dame burning made me think about the wonderful cathedrals that we have here. Not only as places of prayer but also as places for art. These beautiful, peaceful buildings are dotted all over the city. As the weather warm up and cool, shadowy places become more desirable as refuges to duck into out of the hot sun, I have decided to take a bit more time to explore the churches and cathedrals here. Focusing on their uniquenesses and if I am given the time sketching them.








   Last week I took my son to Herz Jesu, a red brick, neogothic church which supposedly features windows made by the artist who built the house we now live in. I was looking for similarities between our own windows and those in the church. When we had first viewed this house the walls were adorned with body sized, working sketches of the windows he had produced. They were themselves masterful pieces of work and I would have loved to have one of them but they remained with the family when they moved out. Many of these 'sketches' featured detailed drawings of figures that would be painted on after the stained glass window had been pieced together. Glass piecing and glass painting are two guilds working hand in hand.



   Many of the windows in Herz Jesu have been restored or entirely replaced after the destruction brought with the first and second world wars. As a result they may be the work of other artisans based on the design of our own glass artist, Ferdinand Koller.





   The raised entrance of Herz Jesu creates a feeling that it is standing on a hill, an entire 'underchurch' is housed below. This is now used for events ranging from the annual book sale to art exhibitions. I was invited to an Ikonography exibition a few years ago there.




Neo gothic seems to be the mosaic of styles, there are butresses, there is gold, there are frescos and gargoyles, stone masonry and carved wood . Something for everyone. Inspiration for the artist at every corner.


 
 
 
 

 
 



I am glad I chose this as the first of my churches to enjoy this spring/summer. It is unique and I am brimming with drawing ideas. If you would like to see a dragon or gargoyle picture let me know in the comments!

Underseat heating


If you liked this Post you might like:


To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts