Followers

Artists holiday gift guide 2019- 15 gift ideas for the artist or art lover



    Last year I posted my first artist gift guide here on the blog highlighting some of my favorite supplies and finds of 2018. As they are my favorites, it was hard not to include them all again on this years gift guide. I was strong, however, and looked around for new ideas and favorites picked up on my travels this year or just enjoyed in the studio in the last few months. If you are curious about the items on last years list you can see them here.









1- Sketchbook projekt:



  The sketchbook project is a library of sketchbooks from around the world. You can contribute to the collection by buying one of their sketchbooks, filling it and returning it. It will then recieve a number so that you will be able to track it. The sketchbooks are part of the brooklyn art library and are taken on traveling exhibitions. I think this would be a great project or gift. The books cost 30 US dollars for a paper one or 65 US dollars for a digital one. They use a consistent format which accounts for the required sketchbook purchase.




2- Charvin Leather pencil pouch:






Art supplies:

3- Gold palette - Schminke:




4- Watersoluable graphite:


 5- Charvin Gouache:



 6- Rotring pen:


7-  Faber Castell drafting pencil:

 8- Small Sketching kit:




 Mine includes:

- H+M pouch
- Charvin watercolourpalette
- Lindauer miniature pencil
- da Vinci 943 mini paintbrush
- hanhnemühle watercolour sketchbook







Books:


   I recently purchased two books on historical sketchbooks, one features sketches of naval journeys and the other land exploration. They are fascinating. I debated whether or not to order them for a while, but am glad I did. Before photography, most explorations or voyages brought an artist along on the team. These sketchbooks have been both historically and practically valuable. I believe it is Ash Island that, after being ecologically decimated, was able to be restored to its native state based on the illustrations and sketches of the Scott Sisters created in the mid 1800s. An example of art serving science (and in this instance ecology). There have also been anthropological studies carried out based on sketches of tribal and cultural customs observed by sketchers. These have lead to a greater understanding of how various civilizations worked. These books help artists to see their work in a different light and maybe take their quick sketches more seriously. I am enjoying them immensely at the moment.


9-10

  On a slightly different note, I found this book on the life of Vincent Van Gogh in the museum book shop of one of the large museums in Washington DC. (I believe it was the national gallery). Although it is essentially a biography, it's inclusion of maps and other geographical data provides a additional aspect of understanding the artists life and work. This one would also be fun for children.

11-




12- For the art connoisseur who doesn't want to have to do the art themselves:


   Here I will shamelessly plug my current holiday offer, small house paintings. You can order one for yourself or a friend or family member for 40 euros. All information is in last weeks post: How to order a painting of your home





For the home and studio:


I recently unpacked my lovely wool throw from trunk where it is kept. Our house is an old one and as such, the perfect environment for curling up with a sketchbook, throw blanket and cup of tea in the evening.

13- This throw is the all wool rug from James Pringle Weavers Inverness. Here is a similar one.



14-   I was introduced to Lupicia teas when a friend send me a tin from Japan. In Paris this past month I ran across a Lupicia shop. I bought three tins of tea which I have been enjoying while working these past few weeks.



15- Candle making supplies: Sometimes it is fun as an artist to just do something fun and crafty that has no deeper meaning or expectation attatched to it's creation. These candles are such an item. They are fun and easy to roll and smell wonderful. I found the wax plates and wicks at my local crafting shop. they would make a nice 'kit'.





What is on your holiday wish list? I would love to hear about it in the comments.









To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.














Comments

Popular Posts