Followers

Step by step landscape painting













    Last week I gave a very brief presentation on how to create a landscape painting in acrylic. It is a picture with a history which I may share with you someday. A picture that has once again reminded me that commissions are hard because artists and non artists often use different words.
  The presentation followed the  Pecha Kucha method of presenting a series of 20 images in 20 seconds each. It was fun to see what people came up with at this quick rate. My subject being primarily visual, I didn't feel overburdened with the time constraints. I believe it was more challenging for people who tried to share a lot of factual information with us. I am sharing the images I used (plus or minus one or two, since this post has no restriction). I hope that at the end of the post you will feel inspired to go out and paint something, or buy a painting from me or a favorite local artist;)




 This is a large format:



 Putting in the keys:


Sketching in the outline:



Here it can be seen in raw sienna:


 Blue and white applied to start creating the sky:


And the blending begins:


I added a bit of peach to the horizon to a a lighter, airier feeling to the overall work:



The color of the hills blurs in to the blue of the sky in the distance:




The color intensity increases as the hills grow nearer:


 And the darkest earth is visible in the foreground:


Just a little close up:


Grass is gently brushed on so as to indicate the first swaths of green in Spring:



 And now to begin on the clouds:


The scariest part of any cloud, the heavy shadow:


 More white and a lot of blending:


 And last but not least the trees:



 A close up of the trees far off in the distance:





A view from a window, looking out over rolling hills: open, airy, and empty.

I hope you enjoyed the steps in this painting process. I have been rather busy recently so I will be putting up a few posts in the next few days. Keep your eyes open for them.


If you liked this post you might also enjoy:
- Step by step leaf bug in Watercolour
- Step by step floral wreath
Painting Fluffy clouds



To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.   

Comments

Popular Posts