Followers

Continuing Education- Seascapes

 As an artist and especially as a self taught one, it is up to me to determine when and where I need to apply a little more intensive time and attention. In May I introduced you to my 'workshop in a book' method, which simplified, simply means read the book carefully cover to cover and then do the excercises, step by step, exactly as they are being taught by the author. This sounds easy enough but tends to be harder than expected due, at least to my tendancy, to anticipate or skip steps, using my own techniques rather than those of the author. To read more about this meathod check out the post; Hone your skills with a 'workshop in a book'.


This past week I have again utilized this method to dissect and absorb a recently acquired book on capturing seascapes, waves and foam. I really learned a lot. The results are not as polished as I would have made them, were they my own, but imitating the artist's brush work taught me several little tricks that I can't wait to incorporate into my own work.

 

The book that I am using is called, 'Sea and Sky In Acrylics' by Dave White. He has several really magnificent paintings in it even though the practice paintings are relatively simple.

 

White uses one of the base colours to paint the entire canvas, so I prepared all three of the exercises simultaneously.


He also creates an off center vanishing point using the rule of thirds to create interesting sand. This was a great discovery to me as a flat layer of sand below a flat layer of water lacks the dynamism of the actual sea.


I sill have a lot to learn about waves but I feel that the exercise gave me several valuable tips for making the surf and the foam. Although my efforts are rather rustic I am impressed how much  effect these simple techniques yield.

Here is a snapshot of my messy studio as I finish up the third exercise:






Here are a few pages showing his waves, and some of the specific he discusses; wind, cloud cover, reflectiveness, etc...







And of course the results of the exercises, I highly recommend the book.

Can you see my wave development between the first and second blue/green canvas? I hope so. The second is slightly better. I can't wait to put some of the techniques into practice painting some of the pictures have taken in Italy over the years.





 I will be once again offering special Christmas house paintings for 50 euros plus shipping (Contact me be e-mail if interested). Here is a post from last year with more information:

-Painting of your home

I am also willing to paint you an individual botanical watercolour illustration for 120 Euros plus shipping. (contact me by e-mail if interested). This might be the perfect gift for the avid gardner, cook or nature lover on your list.

 

To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.


I recently created an instagram account just for my studio tea breaks: @tea_in_the_studio 

you can also check out more of my artwork on my artist account on instagram: @sarahloeckerart

Comments

Popular Posts