Followers

When life gives you carrots- A step by step process post

 

 

 'Grandma gave us a carrot to bring home', one of the children told me upon their return from a weekend visit. I raised an eyebrow- One carrot doesn't go far in a family. And then they held up a plastic sack. A huge carrot, bulbous and grotesque in its size and anatomy, lay inside. It was as long as my lower arm, although thinner. Perhaps this carrot would go further than I had at first imagined.

 

Before allowing my children to eat it I decided that I would paint it. It is certainly an ideal addition to my autumn produce illustrations. 

 

   Today I am just sharing a few photos to show that process of layering I used to create the piece. This was done fairly quickly considering. I started with a fairly quick wet layer and worked increasingly drier with each layer of detail.

Once the initial layer was done I began to create a sense of form with the orange colour that would be the main carrot colour in the end.



Bit by bit I started picking out the roots and bulbous growth.





The shadow on the bottom edge is worked in with small delicate brush strokes.


If you look at the details, you will notice that with each layer I am adding concreteness to the shapes.


Yet a darker shadow layer is added to give the carrot weight. The smaller roots are also touched up. This final layer includes all of the visible fine detailing.



And here is the final illustration. I always find it interesting how something so simple and so often taken for granted can be so beautiful on paper.





I hope you enjoyed looking at this magnificent carrot being converted into an illustration.

On a personal note, we have had some wonderful, sunny, autumn days. I have been enjoying taking advantage of the slightly longer season to include more of it in my artwork.






I recently created an instagram account just for my studio tea breaks: @tea_in_the_studio 

you can also check out more of my artwork on my artist account on instagram: @sarahloeckerart




 I will be once again offering special Christmas house paintings for 50 euros plus shipping (Contact me be e-mail if interested). Here is a post from last year with more information:

-Painting of your home

I am also willing to paint you an individual botanical watercolour illustration for 120 Euros plus shipping. (contact me by e-mail if interested). This might be the perfect gift for the avid gardner, cook or nature lover on your list.

 

To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.

 

Comments

Popular Posts