Followers

Nutcracker illustration- step by step



   As a child I saw the nutcracker performed by my ballet company for the first time. It was a spectacular performance which left me forever fascinated with nutcrackers. For a while I collected them and later when I had children I bought them for my children. It was with surprise that I have recently heard people mention that they think of them as 'scary looking' I always think of them as fairytale creatures and have long wanted to create a fun series for the holidays- three, four or maybe five nutcracker illustrations similar to the robot illustrations I did earlier this year. I found time to start on this project a few days ago and am happy to share my first one. This is the smallest of the ones in our house. It is painted in classic red and green making it a very christmassy motive to work on over the last couple of days. I have been doing small sketches in my christmas book and am really enjoying the holiday theme. A small rocking horse ornament in my little book is visible in the first picture below.



 I started with a pencil sketch and then began blocking in some of the reds leaving the area around the hair and beard free.



 I then worked one the hair and added the shiney green jewel like buttons. I tried out a new reflection technique of adding black rather than white. What do you think (see the red part of the legs).


 Once the hair and beard were done I went back in and filled in the red of the jacket. I also debated about adding the stand for a while but decided to in the end.





   I haven't seen a performance of the nutcracker in a very long time but I am listening to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite, Op 71a on You Tube as I type this.


   Is the nutcracker synonymous with Christmas in your region? I would love to know.



 For those is Graz:

   A few winter botanical Christmas cards are at the Rosa's Art stand on Mehlplatz if you are looking for a handpainted original Christmas card for someone special.





   Time is also running out to register for the winter botanical Christmas ornament workshop I will be doing on the 15th of December. It will be suitable for children and adults and costs 30 euros. All of the details are in the 'workshops' tab at the top of the page or just send me a message if you are interested in joining in.



 Still looking for an original present? There is still time to get a painting of your home: More information here.



To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.


Comments

Popular Posts