Followers

Gouache Sketchbook- 20 pages of Intense colour

During the current pandemic, it's lockdowns, soft lockdown's, working from home, and social distancing, I have been creating a series of sketchbooks. This last one is nearly finished and I thought it was as time to share it with you.


 This sketchbook is my first time really delving into the world of gouache. I have been focusing here not so much on realism but rather of colour balance, temperature, and mood.

 

 

The colours are so lively in comparison to watercolour, rendering results are more like a children's picture book. I find them pleasant in a simple sort of way.

One of the things I am enjoying most about using gouache is the feeling of the 'paint', I love the malleability of it. I have been experimenting with a variety of different consistencies. It also mixes really nicely, producing very nice shades.


 And so without further ado, here are the pages in the sketchbook: I will give them a short caption. You may observe that I have left space for my own notes. 

1- An Italian restaurant near us has opened a market during the lockdown. His produce is some of the best in Graz. 

- My husband began repairing his jeans this year

2-A new combination: Pearls and FFP2 Mask- Tres Chic

 

3-My new record player has been a delight

-Valentines chocolates


4-my first time stretching a canvas

- flower for international women's day


 

5- Restocked Tea supply

- Zoom workshop set up


6- Painting Eggs for Rosa's Art

- A new livingroom lamp


 

7-First family visit after a long lockdown

- my new gouache paint tubes


 

8- Waiting for a private lesson

- Exhibition at the local museum


 

9- Proud owners of a smoothie maker



 

10-Indulgences: A new ironing board cover and flowers


 

11- And we have snow again, and with snow, hot baths


 

12-the garden awakes

- International day of macarons ( a fun new discovery)

 

13- Diningroom lamp

- Flowering trees- perhaps spring really is coming


 

14- Bought a Pakistani tea for comparison


 

15-Green Thursday meal (Spinach, Roasted potatoes, and an egg)

- some of the flowers from the basket above


 

16- A selection of Easter flowers


 

17-Tea a la Rosa

-Easter eggs


 

18-English inspiration

-Forcythia


 

19- The new normal (tests)

- Easter tree



 

20- Another trip to the Italian market
 

 

And that is about as far as I have gotten. I hope you have enjoyed my foray into gouache and are inspired to try it out or to look up art that includes it. 

 Winter and spring have been playing hide and seek with us over the last week or two and I suspect that both will find place in the remaining pages of the sketchbook. In the mean time I hope that you are able to enjoy the arts in some way today.

If you enjoyed this post you might also like: 

- Natural History sketchbook tour 

-Not quite urban sketching

-Sketchbook tour of Graz

-Urban sketchers Paris sketch crawl 

To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.   

Comments

Popular Posts