Followers

Shopping- Artist Style

What I bought on holiday:



     I was pretty conservative this time not as a result of great strength of character but rather because I planned to go to a nice small art store in Mantova just steps from the duomo but I never got there. Lunch time being quite long in Italy I always seem to be ready to shop when everything is firmly closed up. The inktense pencils which I wanted to add to my collection will just have to wait until next year.
   One thing I did find though were powdered metalic pigments with binders for either oil or acrylic painting. I haven't ever seen these before and am really looking forward to trying them out. Acrylic binder was my choice for this trip. If I love the pigments I can always get the oil binder at a later date. I bought gold, silver, and bronze.


   Last year I bought oil paints made of the different types of earth in various regions of Italy- they are part of my art supply treasures. I have not used them yet- I am waiting for that magical combination of time, peace, and inspiration. Heaven forbid they get wasted. This year I bought just one earth toned aquarelle pan from Venezia. The brand is new to me and I am excited to try it out. I think it will be a great addition to my urban sketching kit.




    And last but by no means least, in fact so valuable that they should probably have been mentioned first, a fist full of touch pen fine liners, hand imported by a friend. Although these are not technically a purchase they are something I specifically asked for and was very excited to recieve. I bought one of these pens in Zürich in February and was so impressed that I immediately tried to get hold of more at my local art store. Unfortunately they are not available here. I was also unable to find them sold seperately on amazon (I don't really need a 7 pack of all sizes, just the small ones). Luckly for me our friends from Zürich were meeting us in Italy. And were kind enough to bring them.




   I have yet to test my purchases although I am sure I will soon use another of the fineliners, mine is nearly empty. I am hoping to get the sketches inked before starting on anything new. When I have tried all of the new supplies out I will post a review of them in a future post.



    What do you buy on vacation? Are there things you love that you cannot get at home? Let me know in the comments.

  To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.

Comments

Popular Posts