Followers

Gathering inspiration- French weekend Market


  As a studio painter and naturalist I depend heavily on inspiration gathered in the form of photographs taken while traveling. Colours, scenery, architectural details as well as flora, fauna, and the sea make it into my work on a regular basis. These stimuli are primarily gathered during the summer months but this summer is different. We aren't traveling around as much. The carefree day trips aren't frequent or as care free. As a result my reference library is barely growing at all. It was therefore a great delight when I heard that there would be a French market this weekend. When one cannot go to France, it is as well to have France come to Graz.


  It was a small but well stocked market and I bought a few food items as well as a basket. The Italian baskets are so much more beautiful than the french ones but they are better designed to go to the seaside than to do a lot of shopping. This one is much sturdier and I can really load it up at the market.





  On the other side of the tent containing the baskets there were lavender and soap products from Marseille. 







   The red tents where cool and pleasant in the hot sun while shopping but they unfortunately cast a red glow as I tried to photograph them. Although this is not ideal I feel that I was still able to collect some data for use in my reference files.







   There were not too many people when I went so I felt fairly comfortable going up to the counter and ordering. The dessert area, however, was extremely crowded so I snapped a quick photo from a distance and continued on my way with only the briefest thought of the missed chocolate pear tarte that could have been mine.
















   I bought several containers of Herbe de Provence, a blend of herbs I use in almost everything. It has, unsurprisingly a different flavor than the similarly named blend available here.












I even took a quick reference shot of my food before eating it.


And that's it, I am glad of the inspiration injection, however small, and I figured that if any of you are reading this from the comfort of your own homes where you are settled in for the long haul you may be glad of it as well.
 
If you enjoyed this you might also enjoy a few other small outings:



To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button. 

Comments

  1. I wish we got French markets like that in Yorkshire!! I teach French to adults and enjoy seeing pics of French food and culture. Thanks for sharing your photos of your travels and your art. I have just started the free Australian course on Natural History Illustration. I am trying to kickstart my own art activities...seem to have lost confidence in recent years & want to get back into things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! The french Market was fun. How are you liking the nhi course? I really enjoy it but it can be hard:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts