Followers

The traveling sketchbook -7 methods to try in your sketchbook

   I feel that I have been writing about sketchbooks and urban sketching forever, and admittedly I have been doing quite a bit lately. So before I change to another art topic I will quickly insert this one last sketching related post...

   At the post office again today I was handed back a small parcel, labeled to be sent to a Facebook friend in New Zealand. A small sketchbook handed to me in Paris, forgotten in a small drawer, and found suddenly a week ago. Oops!

    This sketchbook is a wandering one, begun in Barcelona ( I believe) It made a few stops in France before coming to Austria, and as a small 'sorry' gesture, for having taken so long with it, I decided to send it somewhere far away... but New Zealand is closed, so it is waiting just a bit longer. NZ is one of the areas that has Corona virus under control and heaven forbid that my unhallowed hands deliver it into their healthy midst in the form of a sketchbook. It seems that I will be holding onto it a while longer.



   In the meantime I thought I would share the sketches that are already in it to inspire you to create a beautiful sketchbook. This blog post is dedicated to those people who so very kindly bought my Urban Sketching 'workshop in a box'. I hope that the variety of styles in these few pages gives you a few ideas for your own sketchbook. I also hope that it encourages you to take risks and try out different styles to create a memorable and multifaceted piece.

    There are seven different sketches in the book so far and each one of them has been done in a slightly different technique or with a slightly different emphasis. I will use each sketch to demonstrate a technique that you can try out in your own sketches.

1. Strong lines/even colour-

 This dog uses strong bold lines to suggest body tension and weight. The even wash of watercolour makes it look like a brown and white animal. The shadow gives the sketch substance.




2. Tonal rendering-

 This crab is painted like an illustration because if the way that colours of a similar tone are used to build up the shadows and curved areas on the body. It appears sketchlike because of the loose spontaneous outlining. White is dabbed on at the end to create both highlights and texture.


3. Line drawing in colour-

   Here the sketching technique is fairly standard but nicely done with the fun twist that it is done in an interesting and unexpected colour. Unexpected since orange isnt always associated with the sea and harbors.



4. Ink sketch with a monochromatic wash to add depth-

  The blue wash or marker (I didn't pay attention when I first looked at it) adds depth to a two dimensional sketch. It also helps to break up the lines into recognizable shapes such as people or trees. This is a quick and effective method.



5. Fading out of a detailed core area-

   This sketch is detailed and shows heavy line weight at the center or focal point of the sketch, it becomes sparser the further out it goes. This is a great way to draw the eye down and into the scene. the light spots of colour add interest.




6. Using warn and cool tones to portray light-

 In this sketch the dappled light is indicated by using a yellow tone for the sunny areas and a grey for the shaded areas. It creates that nice sunny look in a sketch.


7. Tone in ton direct watercolour for a close up of a smaller element-

  In this one similar tones are used to create a structural image on a wooden door, they are roughly brushed on the background but more carefully managed on the central image. this is mainly done without a lot of pre-sketching except for a grid which is helpful in maintaining symmetry. This was my addition to the book.







 

I hope this quick look at the different styles has inspired you to try out a few new techniques in your sketchbook. I would love to hear which ones you have tried or plan to try.  Happy sketching!









   I will be not only sending out this sketchbook to a friend in New Zealand, but I have included another as well. I am curious to see where it will go. I might even send a third in a different direction just for fun, we will see.




To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.

Comments

Popular Posts