Followers

Bare Trees



   This morning I was inking a sketch of a tree and reflecting on the shape of trees generally and how many different basic shapes there are. I love trees, both clothed in leaves and stark in their winter bareness, but I am continually amazed by how unexpected they can be in their structure. This element of surprise usually occurs when I am busily painting a happy little tree and then glance over at my reference, whether photographic or actual, and realize I am completely wrong. And although one might think I would learn and adapt I am extremely slow in doing so. Thus today's project. On our family walk today we went to the city park where ancient trees nestle up against sapplings and local weedlike varieties are interspersed with exotic species.




In both urban sketching and scientific illustration, an emphasis is put on observing and recording as accurately as possible. Obviously, the amount of detail included differs but the method of observation is consistent between the two. In landscape painting as well, tree shapes play an important role in the composition and the overall effect of the resulting work.






Winter provides an ideal opportunity to study the anatomy of the trees and to compare them with one another. I was able to take quite a few pictures which I plan to use in upcoming work.
  I have created a reference file to use when painting and decided to share it here.

















 I hope this collection has inspired you to look more closely at the bare trees around you as you enjoy nature during the remainder of the winter months.






   If you paint, do you find yourself going back again and again to the same tree shapes or do you vary them with each of your works? Let me know in the comments below.







 To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.  

Comments

Popular Posts