Followers

Workshop in a box- Urban sketching

 



Times are changing and so are the ways in which we experience and practice art. In a recent post I talked about using an art book to create a free mini course at home. I am linking it here if you are curious. Today I would like to share my newest offer, a workshop in a box. This is a box that includes all of the instructions and art supplies I would include in a live workshop. The difference is that you get to keep the supplies, rather than using the ones I provide, and enjoy the workshop at a time that best suits you.
Here in Austria the lockdown has been lifted and the restrictions are slowly being eased. To what degree and for how long they will continue in this direction is still a matter for discussion but it does open up certain options for free time activities other than walking, running or cycling.

One of my favorite outdoor, free time activities is painting, or on a simplified, urban sketching. I love the chance to try out new techniques, collect inspiration and just enjoy being outdoors, either with other people or even alone, soaking up the atmosphere of a place. My sketchbooks are visual journals, records of hours and days, of travel and rest, of day to day life and the unexpected beauty and pleasure to be found in it.

I only really started enjoying sketchbooks for their own sake a couple of years ago. Before that I used them as scrap paper or not at all, if they were too beautiful. But urban sketching helped me to see them as a project in themselves. Not fine art perhaps, but never the less innately valuable in themselves. Small jewels, Pocket sized pieces of personal history. I now value my sketchbooks in a new way. They are more personal, more experimental, closer to the daily experience of my existence. Captured moments in space and time.

Not all of my sketchbooks are used for urban sketching but a lot are. I will link a few sketchbook flip through posts below if you would like to see them. I hope that in sharing them you will become inspired to keep your own sketchbook.

With that goal in mind I have decided to curate my Urban Sketching Workshop in a box. In it I will be including instructions on the nuts and bolts of urban sketching, tips on how to create more interesting or dynamic sketches, even as a beginner, as well as a list of prompts so that the recipient doesn't feel overwhelmed for choice when sitting down to sketch. And of course, I will include the basic tools to get you started.




Today most of the items for the boxes arrived, a few are still on their way. I decided to share a few photos to give a sneak peek at the contents. The waterbrushes arrived after I had taken the photos and are therefore not represented. I will be posting a photo of the box with the contents once I have collected everything but I wanted to get the word out about them since they are limited.









The price will be 35 euros per box. If you are in Graz the can be picked up from my studio, otherwise I can send them. Postage will be added according to destination. If you would like one feel free to send me a message, my contact information is in the header, and I will make sure to reserve one for you.







These are turning out to be so fun to put together. they make me want to go try one of them out.
And of course Portia was eager to help out. There is something about the combination of the twine and a box that was just too much for her.







For sketching inspiration-
A few sketchbook Flip throughs:









To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.





Comments

Popular Posts