Followers

Roses by Rosie Sanders- Book review


Still catching up on posts this week- so many pictures to share with you! 

   In today's post I would like to share a book that I loved this summer. During this unusual last several months I have purchased several books for my studio. These have been carefully selected to focus on areas that I would like to improve. Many of them deal with mediums or techniques I already use and will hopefully help me make that jump from competent to excellent. I will let you know how it goes.


   As many of you know, I have been doing quite a bit of botanical illustration and watercolour over the last few years. Have a look at posts here, here, here, and here to see more about that. Recently I have been noticing how some artists are really good at capturing light and 'glow'. The sun shining through petals or bouncing off of white surfaces. Since I love these effects I have decided to look into them a bit more. Rosie Sanders is really masterful at 'glow'.

   This book is set up in a way that allows the reader a lot of chances to relax, enjoy, and learn. It is not a strictly 'how to' book, although she includes a lot of tips. The beginning contains a section on the history of the flower followed by a wealth of information from folklore to usage to meaning.

The artist introduces the us to a few of her sketching techniques, line drawings and quick watercolours.

   Very often a sketch is paired with the finished work beside it. This side by side comparison is a good reminder that in our world of Instagram and urban sketching, a finished piece is still valuable and something to be cherished.



   Included in the book are both old, faded, wilted flowers and fresh, young, fleshy blooms. I am surprised to say it, but I think my favorite are actually the decaying ones. The colours are so intense.


   Next to most of the illustrations Rosie Sanders has included a short story or note, what she thought or wanted out of the picture; what her motivation was while painting it. Reading these notes is like a standing next to her while she flips through her work, pointing things out and elaborating. I found this a wonderfully charming book both as a painter and as lover of flowers and gardens. I can highly recommend it. 



If you enjoyed this book review you might also enjoy:

 

- In the mood for Colour 

- Studio 

- my art library 

 


 

To get posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button.




Comments

Popular Posts